Today we feature another Where to next episode! part of our destination series. Ute and Heather share some of their favourite things about riding in Spain, great places to visit, what to eat and drink and how to get around. They share some insight on the different riding areas and what to expect while you’re there. Please continue to submit your suggestions of topic ideas and questions for future shows.
Imagine… galloping on an Andalusian along the Mediterranean sea!
Thats just what you can find when planning a riding trip to Spain. There are miles of beautiful coast lines to gallop along, but don’t forget the spectacular Pyrenees mountain range as well. In Spain you will not only find beautiful horses, but amazing food. Spanish tapas a hot or cold appetizer is one of the best know treats while in Spain. But don’t forget Paella, or Gazpacho. One of our favourites is the Spanish Tortilla (Spanish Omelette) – Can be served hot or cold. The recipe will be listed below.
Horseback riding in Spain is an ancient art which contributed to the military success and help them become the most powerful country in Europe in the 16th century. It was the magnificent Arab, Andalusian and the Barb horses which enabled them to conquer mighty empires. We all ready new Horses were amazing, but this just confirms that they can also be warriors.
Spanish Tortilla (Spanish Omelette) – Can be served hot or cold
6 medium-sized potatoes
Salt/pepper to taste
Parsley to garnish (optional)
- Cut potatoes in cubes and onions in slices
- Heat 1 cup of olive oil in a non-stick pan, add potatoes and a little salt on top
- The potatoes should be well covered with oil, keep the heat low
- After 5 minutes add the onions and fry till the potatoes are golden and slightly crisp
- On the side beat the eggs and season them with salt and pepper
- When the potatoes are done, drain the oil
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan so that it covers the potatoes well
- Cook on low heat and make sure that the egg gets distributed evenly
- When the eggs are cooked and the texture is not too liquid, use a plate to flip the
tortilla to the other side so it will get cooked evenly
- Once the omelette is properly cocked, you can switch off the heat and garnish it with
- Serve with a salad or some tomatoes
Subscribe to our horse podcast using Apple Podcasts or Android, and never miss an episode!
Your Hosts today:
Heather (Canada) Ute (India)
Don’t forget to check out the resources section in this article!
- All the different areas you can ride
- The amazing food and drinks of Spain
- The Amazing Horses
Thank you for tuning in and happy trails!
Today’s episode is sponsored by Stone Horse Expeditions in Mongolia
Please take a moment to check out Stone Horse Expeditions in Mongolia. They are a full service Expedition and Travel company in Mongolia where they offer horse treks through the vast wilderness. They ensure that Ecotourism guidelines are followed and a keen interest in the Protection of Nature and the Environment in Mongolia. At Stone Horse expeditions you will get to experience the Mongolian horse and they will be your trusted colleague while you trek through the beautiful countryside.
Do you feel that we are missing out on an important topic? Or maybe you have an interesting story to tell? Contact Heather or Ute!
- Famous horses of Spain
- Travelling to Spain during Covid
- Camino de Santiago by horseback
- Spanish words and Phrases
- Equestrian tools and resources
- EQA Online Shop