Spring time is foal time and many of us have had the idea of breeding a foal from our mare at least once in a while, when we watch the little foals and fillies frolicking about. On today’s episode Ute talks with Daniela Vadehra, endurance rider, horse breeder and nutritionist about exactly this topic, how to make our wish come true and breed our own future riding horse. From the assessment of the qualities of your mare, the selection of a matching stallion to the pregnancy, birth and weaning, we address the most important issues and as these are plenty, we will talk today about the first idea till the end of the pregnancy and in our next episode about the birth till the weaning.
Breeding foals is expensive, time consuming and potentially risky!
There are a lot of things to consider before you decide to cover your mare and breed a foal of your own. It might turn your life upside down and it is a lot cheaper, less work and less trouble to simply buy a weanling or even a green horse if you are looking for your future riding horse. However, it is a great experience and if you have the basics covered, have a good mare and some money to spend, why not.
The basic things to consider are:
- The quality of your mare – can you get her registered in a breeding association?
- The amount of time – 11 months of pregnancy then around 3-4 years before you can start riding your foal
- The money it takes – breeding is expensive, it is far more than simply the cost of the covering
- What will you do if your foal turns out to not be your dream horse?
Our Guest today:
Daniela Vadehra (Austria)
Horse breeder, nutritionist, endurance rider and entrepreneur. Daniela lives together with her family in Lower Austria near Vienna and joins us once in a while on this podcast to discuss horse nutrition and health.
Don’t forget to check out the resources section in this article!
- How to assess the breeding qualities of the mare
- How to choose a stallion
- Getting your mare pregnant
- Medical checks and nutritional requirements
- How can I see that my mare is going to give birth soon
Thank you for tuning in and happy trails!
Travel the World on Horseback Virtually: With EQA TV
Are you looking for something new to watch instead of old reruns of sitcoms? Well, look no further!
We are thrilled to announce that season 1 & 2 of the Equestrian Adventuresses series is now available on Amazon Prime in the UK and the United States. More locations will follow soon. Travel with us to Greenland, Slovenia, Ireland or Greece.
Equestrian Adventuresses travel around the world on horseback, sharing empowering women’s stories along the way. Explore hidden destinations and learn about the history and culture from the back of a horse. This is a show for those who love horses, travel and adventure.
- Find out more about Daniela in our horse podcast episode “From Horse Owner to Entrepreneur – The Story of an Idea”
- Article about Costs and Considerations before breeding your mare
- Article about The Real Costs of breeding a Foal from your Mare
- Know all about your mare’s pregnancy with the Pregnancy Wheel
- Check out all our Resources for Equestrian Adventuresses
- The Equestrian Adventuresses Shop on Amazon