Spring time is foal time and many of us have had the idea of breeding a foal from our mare at least once in a while, when we watch the little foals and fillies frolicking about. On today’s episode Ute talks with Daniela Vadehra, endurance rider, horse breeder and nutritionist about exactly this topic, how to make our wish come true and breed our own future riding horse. From the assessment of the qualities of your mare, the selection of a matching stallion to the pregnancy, birth and weaning, we address the most important issues and as these are plenty, we will talk today about the birth of a foal, lactation, how to handle and care for foals and the process of weaning.
Breeding foals is expensive, time consuming and potentially risky!
There are a lot of things to consider before you decide to cover your mare and breed a foal of your own. It might turn your life upside down and it is a lot cheaper, less work and less trouble to simply buy a weanling or even a green horse if you are looking for your future riding horse. However, it is a great experience and if you have the basics covered, have a good mare and some money to spend, why not.
The basic things to consider are:
- The quality of your mare – can you get her registered in a breeding association?
- The amount of time – 11 months of pregnancy then around 3-4 years before you can start riding your foal
- The money it takes – breeding is expensive, it is far more than simply the cost of the covering
- What will you do if your foal turns out to not be your dream horse?
Our Guest today:
Daniela Vadehra (Austria)
Horse breeder, nutritionist, endurance rider and entrepreneur. Daniela lives together with her family in Lower Austria near Vienna and joins us once in a while on this podcast to discuss horse nutrition and health.
Don’t forget to check out the resources section in this article!
- The birth of a foal – what is normal and what can go wrong
- Feeding and caring for your lactating mare
- Best way for foals to grow up
- Deworming, vaccination, dental treatment & hoof care of foals
Thank you for tuning in and happy trails!
Women’s Travel Safety Online Course
Have you ever dreamed about travelling to exotic countries but never quite had the courage to do so? Do you feel unsafe while travelling to new locations and feel insecure going out alone?
A lot of women feel the same way and that is why we have designed the Woman’s Travel Safety Online Course which helps women to travel the world confidently and not get into dangerous situations in the first place!
Join in the course and avail a 50% discount now! This is a limited offer, so sign up now as not to miss it!
- Part One of Breeding a Foal from Your Mare Podcast
- Article about Caring for your New Born Foal
- Article 10 Interesting Facts about Foals
- Check out all our Resources for Equestrian Adventuresses
- The Equestrian Adventuresses Shop on Amazon