Horse Podcast Ep 205: Fjord Horses – Small But Mighty

Small but mighty, the Fjord horse is one of the world’s oldest and purest breeds. Dated back to the Viking era the Fjord horses have been selectively bred for at least 2000 years. The fjord horses are strongly built. measuring between 13-14 hands, and fall into the 900 -1200 pound range. These mild-tempered horses are strong enough to plow the fields, sure-footed enough to climb mountains and still compete as a sport horse in combined driving. Join Heather as she more information on the Fjord horses genetic colouring and learn all about the breed and its uses. 

Subscribe to our horse podcast using Apple Podcasts or Android, and never miss an episode!

Fjord Horses – Breeds Characteristics

The Fjord horse has a distinct appearance. The breed’s conformation differs from many other breeds in that it is a blend of draught horse muscling and bone, with the smaller size and great agility. They have a strong, arched neck, sturdy legs and good feet, and a compact, muscular body.

Fjord Horses – Color

All Fjord horses are dun in color. Dun is a body colour that is tan or gold or related shade with darker, usually black or dark brown points. The breed standard recognises five shades variations. The 5 shades recognised are Brown Dun which 90% of Fjords are, the remaining 10% consists of Red Dun, Grey Dun, White Dun, and Yellow Dun. The Dun colour variations can be subtle and hard to distinguish unless horses of different shades are standing side by side. The Fjord horse retains the wild Dun colour of the original horse as well the primitive markings which include zebra stripes on the legs and a dorsal stripe that runs from the forelock down the neck and back and into the tail.

Hosts today:

Heather (Canada)

Don’t forget to check out the resources section in this article!


  • World’s oldest and Purest Breed
  • Equine Coat Colour Genetics
  • Small but mighty
  • From farm work to the sport horse world

Thank you for tuning in and happy trails!

Special Announcement

2021 Adventures on Horseback Virtual Workshop


Some People Say.. “Just Go to a Horse Show” or “Go Trail Riding.” But That is NOT the Answer!!! Just going to a show or riding around your local area does NOT satisfy that hunger… you know, the one to head off into the sunset on your horse and never return! 

We interviewed over 18 equestrian adventurists for our upcoming Adventures on Horseback Virtual Workshop and each of them had me nearly gasping for air. Because the answers aren’t always what we think…

You can get your FREE ticket to the Virtual Workshop here: 


EQA Books

We just launched our lasted Travel Guide Book for Equestrians! 
Available on Amazon, Kobo, Barnes and noble, and more as paperback and hardback coffee table books, however as a special gift to our members and as a big thank you for being a part of the community we are giving you a copy for free! 
Click here to grab your free book: Horse Riding in Every US State & Country Book

catalog of horse riding vacations and horse riding adventures in all states of the USA and every country in the world. Available as eBook and hardcopy
Our catalog of horse adventures for 2021-2022 in every state and every country

Equestrian Adventuresses Book Store

Do you love to read or listen to horsey books and stories, then have a look at our EQA Book Series, now available as paperbacks, e-books, and audio books.

Packed with exciting true-life stories written by women from all around the world about their adventures they had with horses!

Follow a vet on her adventures in the Namibian Bush, an expat winning a show jumping medal in Italy, a British family with two toddlers crossing Patagonia on horseback or a German girl finding her dream horse on an Indian horse market.

Grab your books and audiobooks now! Incredible true stories of horse riding travel adventures around the world.

Do you feel that we are missing out on an important topic? Or maybe you have an interesting story to tell? Contact Heather or Ute!


Thanks for listening to our horse podcast: Fjord Horses – Small But Mighty

Horse and travel podcast pin - Ep 205: Fjord Horses -Small But Mighty
Like it? Pin it!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: